The Liberal Friends of Israel was the first ‘Friends of Israel’ group formed in the British Parliament, followed by those for Labour and the Conservatives. On the formation of the SDP, a Friends of Israel Group was also established. This was amalgamated with the Liberal Friends on the merger of the two parties to form the Liberal Democrat Friends of Israel (LDFI).
Liberal Democrat Friends of Israel
The Liberal Democrat Friends of Israel exists to support and promote policies which lead to peace and security for Israel in the context of a comprehensive and lasting Middle East peace settlement.
We are strongly committed to a two state solution, with Israel living in secure borders, free from the threat of terrorism, alongside an independent Palestinian State.
We work to encourage a strong understanding of Israel unique political situation as the only democracy in the Middle East.
We seek to develop a relationship of trust and mutual understanding between the Liberal Democrats and the Jewish Community.
The work of Liberal Democrat Friends of Israel
- Provide regular briefings with political, diplomatic and economic news from Israel for Liberal Democrat Parliamentarians and Party Members.
- Hold an annual fringe meeting at Liberal Democrat Party Conference, with a range of speakers, from visiting Israel politicians, Israeli Ambassadors and Liberal Democrat Foreign Affairs spokespeople.
- Arrange visits to Israel for Liberal Democrat Parliamentarians, so they can see and hear for themselves the issues facing Israel. Our trips enable visitors to meet Politicians, opinion formers and citizens from all sides of the political and religious spectrum.
- Provide opportunities for Liberal Democrat Parliamentarians to meet and question visiting Israeli politicians, civil servants, journalists and other experts in Israeli and Middle Eastern politics.
- Provide advice and guidance for Liberal Democrat Parliamentarians about news and developments in Israel.